Thursday, March 24, 2011

Artist Spotlight: Louise Bourgeois

 Louise Bourgeois

Louise has an interesting style that very unique to her as an artist. Her work is something one can pick out from a gallery just by a mere glance if you've heard of her before. French-born-American, she moved to America later on to pursue a career in her artwork. Most of her works are meant to be "uncomfortable" to look at, but that's the raw reality that she's presenting. It's emotional and forces the viewer to take a step back, and think about feeling in a piece that's merely representational. 

Arch of Hysteria
Her work includes both painting and sculpture, and she often uses organic materials such as wood, marble, and also steel, bronze and plastic.




Some of her best known works include “Araña” (1994), (spider), a work inspired in the maternal figure. She has various spiders all over the world, the original made in steel and marble, and nine more in bronze.



"Seven in bed", above, used fabric, wood, stainless steel and glass as it mediums. 

Janus Fleuri, Bronze
I really enjoy all of her works, the one above, like many of her other works makes me feel uneasy. I think that's mostly because I'm not really sure what I'm looking at, but contextually I understand it's possibilities. That's one of the main reasons I enjoy her works so much. 

No comments:

Post a Comment